Wednesday, December 3, 2014

Onward and Upward....

Now that Thanksgiving is over and the leftovers are either eaten or thrown away, it’s time to get my brain back on track. The good news is it usually only takes me a day or two of being out of sync with my eating to help me crave getting back to a healthy lifestyle again. One of the perks I guess of spending the last few years retraining my body and brain on what healthy is all about.


I was excited to start my week and get back into my normal. Like I said in my post just prior to Thanksgiving, I have been somewhat out of sync for some time now with moving, remodeling, and getting settled in our new house. I made a plan of attack this weekend. I am craving “normal” but also know with the holidays around the corner, I am human and certainly not perfect and am bound to eat naughty on occasion. Regardless, getting my mind back on track is what’s most important and is what’s going to bring me the most success. It is so easy to get into a cycle of thoughts that spin you out of control when times like the holidays come and go. For me, it’s remembering that I’m not on a “diet”  but choosing to eat and live healthy is what motivates me to keep going forward. I remind myself that it’s the small decisions I make every day that are going to make the difference, not the week I took off to eat what I wanted over Thanksgiving break. 
These are a few of the things I reminded myself before I went to bed last night and that seem to bring me great comfort in times when I feel like I need it most. 
Take each day as it comes. 
Don’t dwell on the naughty things I ate but celebrate the fact that I was able to eat them. 
Don’t think of the things I haven’t been doing (like getting to the gym) but write down all the things I HAVE been doing (spending time with family, etc).
Reflect on how far I’ve come and even with a 9 pound disadvantage at the present moment, I am no where near what I was just 4 ½ years ago. 
Enjoy each day. Whether I messed up with eating or exercise, enjoy the moment and the day I am currently living. 
I’m learning to be grateful for the curve balls that have come and gone on this journey I call maintenance. I knew when I signed up for this challenge that it wasn’t going to be easy. It’s not supposed to be. I’ve had to work hard to become who I am and I don't believe health and happiness are suppose to come easily. We have to work at it. Just like anything else in life. This time of year was a good reminder of how grateful I am for a healthy body, that with a little training and positive self-talk has become something that has allowed me to do things in life I never dreamed or imagined. Life is good!


Pin It!

5 comments:

  1. I love your attitude and the fact that you are being kind to you! I used to be really hard on myself and it only made things worse. I found out that celebrating the small things and not beating myself up was the best way to stay on top! Bravo for you! I also agree, after eating heavy, not so healthy food for a couple of days, I am always ready for some good clean veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I took a moment to read blogs today. I needed the encouragement your posts always bring. The beginning of my year threw me for a loop and I'm sad to say that I've not recovered from the 15 pounds I put on.

    However, I refuse to quit and go back to being the overweight, unhappy mama I was. You are so good at accepting challenges and dealing with them; I tend to want to cry and whine.

    Reading your recent posts has reminded me again I need to get some fight in me and not sit around crying about why I gained this weight. My surgery, death of my mother and major accident for my son all happened before April, but it's December now. It doesn't change what happened, but it can no longer be an excuse.

    Thankfully, I have gotten back into regular exercise again, so now it's the food that needs to get back on track. I've already decided I'm not waiting until January to do that, but I will also allow myself to enjoy this time of year and the family and friends that make it all so dear. I appreciate your reminder to do that as well.

    I know your posts are sporadic, but thank you for always coming back and checking in. It means more than you know to me. :) Have a Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Paige, I just discovered your blog and love it. You are such an inspiration! I've been exercising and struggling with the "last ten pounds" for about ten years. :) I wondered if you'd be willing to share your weights workout with us? I have always ran quite a bit, but am learning that weights is what it's all about. I know how to lift, have even hired trainers on occasion, but I read such varying things on the topic, I'm still a little confused. You look amazing and I wondered if you'd be willing to share how you do your resistance training? If not, that's ok! Still wanted to say "hi" and thx for sharing your wonderful, upbeat posts--we need them out here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Include satisfactory munchies within approach throughout switching about the moving morning.
    You need to make sure the wiring, chords and also gadgets of all consumer electronics tend to be jam-packed within the similar carton.


    Click Here:
    packers and movers pune
    packers and movers in pune
    movers and packers pune
    movers and packers in pune

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the idea of taking things day by day. I have found this to be really helpful in my journey to a healthier life and much less overwhelming than thinking of things in terms of "for the rest of my life."

    ReplyDelete