Monday, January 12, 2015

5 Years...Maintenance...And So it Continues....

Now that we're two solid weeks into the new year, I feel like the hustle and bustle of the holidays have passed and I'm starting to settle in to somewhat of a routine again, and believe me, it feels SO good! Is it always a cakewalk? No way! I definitely have by bad days, but going forward the best I know how and finding ways to enjoy the journey along the way, is top priority. 

This past week was my five-year anniversary, if you want to call it, of when I hit my goal weight and committed to remain healthy. Along with maintenance comes its challenges. In fact, to be frankly honest, I think the maintenance part is much, much harder than I thought it was going to be. In some ways, it's even harder than the 14 months it took me to lose the weight. Might sound crazy, but true story. My weight has fluctuated from time to time over the past 5 years since hitting my goal. Sometimes more than I'd like, but the good news is, I always know when it's time to stop the unnecessary and get back to business before things have gotten out of control. Usually, for me, it's because I've become lazy about tracking my food or not getting to the gym when I need too or just plain not doing what I know I need to do to maintain. Yep, life happens. 
Food is an addiction. I believe this is true for people who not only have weight problems, but for people who are healthy too. I know when I was 278 pounds, not only did I think of food often, I chose to consume food in the wrong way. And even now, 5 years later, in a body half my size, I still think of food often, but in a different way. I'm addicted to thinking about fueling my body for the good. I'm addicted to making this body that was a gift, the healthiest I know how. In some ways, I think when we are struggling with food addictions that have caused us to spiral out of control and get to places that cause us unhappiness, can be far more challenging than other addictive behaviors, like drugs, alcohol, video gaming, etc. Again, this is just my own personal opinion and it's not meant to offend anyone. The way I see it, with action, support groups, maybe counseling, and a desire to not consume or participate in those things anymore, people are successful. The problem with food addictions is, we can't just say we're never going to eat again. That thought alone makes this whole idea of our journey all that more challenging and in my eyes. 

For me personally in regards to maintenance, it's a matter of finding my happy place and staying as close to that as possible. Is that going to be beach body skinny minnie? Most likely not. It's not going to be any specific number on the scale but just a range in which I call "happy and healthy" for me. The problem and reality is, I like food. I always will. Hello...I was nearly 300 pounds! I want to still be able to enjoy food and treats as I continue on my journey. If that means sacrificing the idea that I'll never be a stick figure, I'm okay with that. All I want most of all is healthy and happy. I think that will tend to be my gauge more than the number on the scale in the months and years to come. 

Whether you are at the beginning of your journey, in maintenance, or somewhere in between, I commend you. I know it's not easy. I've been there. I am there! But the good news is we're not alone. Here's to wonderful things in 2015!

Pin It!

11 comments:

  1. Congrats on your 5 year anniversary. I will be at my 3 year in a few weeks and consider myself a food addict in recovery.

    Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congrats to you too Karen! It definitely is a constant adventure isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Congratulations on your 5 year milestone. You said it all so well. Food addiction is like any other addiction...an ongoing issue that takes vigilance and work to keep at bay. I became a food addict as a child, as I used food to cope. It took many forms over my life, and I'm still working on it. Right now I'm getting close to a normal weight for the first time in many years. You are an inspiration. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for dropping by E Jane and sharing part of yourself. So happy you are feeling healthy and getting to what feels normal for you. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Anniversary and congrats for your continued journey. You look WONDERFUL and you continue to inspire me. Thank you for sharing your heart and soul with us. I love it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this is crazy timing - literally last night I was talking to my husband about how food is literally an addiction, and yet there's no real 'addiction centres' for food (yes, camps, and groups, etc, but just overall it's not treated as severe of an addiction other substances in our society)

    I've just hit my 12 lb weightloss mark - started 2 weeks ago at 256 lbs (!!!!) I couldn't believe when I stepped on the scale and it read OVER 250 lbs :oO

    I have literally done nothing except eat healthy, mainly plant-based, and worked out 4 times a week and have lost this amount so far. It's motivating to continue, but VERY hard at times - that's how I know I've been addicted, because when I think about certain food (hello - PIZZA! lol) it's like my brain is just fiending for it!

    I have gone cold-turkey from junk / processed food, as I truly believe I have to treat this like any other addiction in order to be (long-term) successful. As someone else said, it's easy to lose the weight, but I don't want short-term success. It truly has to be a lifestyle change! You wouldn't give an alcoholic a "sip" of booze in recovery, so I feel with food it has to be the same method - get rid of it fully while your body changes, and your tastebuds 'reset' :)
    Thanks for a great post, and congratulations on your 5 year anniversary - you should be so proud of yourself :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And Congratulations on a great start to your own journey. Soon you will have your own story to tell. I'm excited for you. Are you blogging about your weight loss at all?

      Delete
  5. Sorry to see your not blogging anymore

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm about 20 pounds away from maintenance, I'm glad you shared this-- some important things to think about and prepare for.

    ReplyDelete