Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Fuel Me For Food Not Fun.......

This is something I like to say to myself often. Don't get me wrong.  Food can be fun, but when our thoughts and choices get out of hand it can lead to some dangerous territory.

I love that I wake up each morning and plan and figure out what I am eating for the day. It's a highlight. It makes me feel empowered. It makes me feel like I am in charge of my body. That I have control of what it does. For many years I let food control me, but now I can honestly say, I control my food!

I know there were times in my life when trying to lose weight that I just cut out all treats, only ate rabbit like- food, and really focused on very little calories. Funny thing, that's not a lifestyle. Not only that, my day was never planned out so I wouldn't have anything to look forward to. I just knew that when I ate, it better not be much. That's how my brain worked.

By planning out my menu ahead of time and sticking to it, it allows me to build my menu around my lifestyle or what may be going on that day, and it allows me to pick things I enjoy eating, yet eat them in moderation. It didn't take long before this way of thinking and doing just became who I was. 

I think of it as a game of sorts. I add all sorts variety, pick things I look forward to snacking on, and occasionally even eat a meal that doesn't show up on the menu all that often. Some people say, "I could never do that. I would just eat everything in sight. I wouldn't know when to stop. I would lose hope. I would lose weight too slowly." Trust me, I've heard them all. The truth is, if a person with any type of weight problem or eating disorder can't adopt this way of thinking, the way they are trying to eat will never stick. It will never become a lifestyle but only a phase. 

I know it's not easy. I've been there. It's such an awesome feeling though, to be able to make choices, with all types of food, and still come out in the end being successful. I couldn't imagine my life now any other way. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
Planning my food makes me enjoy it that much more...
Road Trip planning...love my strawberries!
Yep, I even order treats when I've planned for it. (And STILL lose weight!)

Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. My favorite thing is meal planning and then plugging everything into MyFitnessPal - I totally get what you're saying. It makes me in control of my food instead of the other way around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find so much inspiration in your posts. I had GB surgery 2 yrs ago and yes kept off my 100 lb loss but I am falling into old habits. Really the grazing and snacking and I feel I have not worked on the head part. Did you just wake up and have that moment? Was it a process? Thanks for your inspiration:)
    Marisa

    ReplyDelete