Tuesday, September 25, 2012

What Do You Do When You Are Frustrated?

I was looking through some pictures this weekend and came across this picture of me shortly after my foot surgery. It made me reflect a bit on one of the set-backs on my journey and how regardless of my situation I had to press forward. Sometimes I think we all fall into this trap of sorts, and it doesn't require having bi-lateral foot surgery to get into this mindset. 


Ever felt like you're making no progress? Ever feel like you've tried everything and nothing is working? Are you unmotivated? Has life's circumstances weighed you down and the thought of keeping up with healthy eating and exercise sound daunting? I know I can answer yes to each one of these things as I felt them all at one point or another on this journey. The interesting thing is that each one of these scenarios is different yet can be very debilitating and similar in their own way. 

How would any of these examples be any different than me having foot surgery? There is a BIG difference. You see, each one of these scenarios can be very real but the good news is, you have the power to physically do something to make it better. You can move. You can walk. You can run. After having foot surgery I couldn't to any of those things for weeks and I had to rely on my support team (the people you've been getting to know in my posts recently) to do practically everything for me. It was a very hard, trying time for my little brain. Often times now I find myself thanking God for feet that can walk. For feet that can run. It's not until something you're so dependent upon is taken away that you really gain an appreciation for what your body can do for you. Don't take it for granted!

In the days and weeks following my surgery, I spent many quiet hours with God pondering my circumstance. It was made very clear to me on several occasions that WE have the power within to make whatever situation we're in a good one. Even though I couldn't get off the couch or out of bed to get to the gym or even walk for that matter, I had to train my brain it was all going to be okay - my body would remember what to do when the time came for me to walk again. (This was not always an easy thing for me.) 

We have the power to be who we want to be. We have the power to change our lives for the better. We have the power to make whatever we are feeling into something better.  I am so grateful for all these little things that may not seem important to some but are important to me as I relive my journey. They are helping me to mold this whole experience into something more than just losing weight and being healthy. It's not always easy, but I promise it will be worth it!

P.S. I had the best post-op nail artist ever (Tam-the one you all got to meet on Friday when she guest posted).  Her Nike swooshes kept me motivated and inspired that this too shall pass. Take a look...

Yep, green is my favorite color.

A little Boise State spirit on this one.

Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I have got to try the Nike swoosh!! And I feel that way (meaning I am at a stop) now because I am having a hard time getting over this "weight" and I run and workout and feel like I am not progressing at ALL. Then I see pics of fit girls and read different blogs (including yours) and I start to feel motivated again. Thanks for uplifting me today!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paige, you are so inspiring. The God given strength you have is amazing. You truly represent "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me".

    Love you
    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  4. As always, Thank you for posting! I am fighting to lose the last 30 pounds after already losing 110. I was doing great until I had Thyroid surgery and it ended up being thyroid cancer. I had to do radiation and the low iodine diet got to my head. That was a HARD diet! I now feel like I am stuck as I have only lost a few pounds in the last few months dealing with all of that. I want to reach my goal weight so bad. I know I can do it, but it is really hard to get back into the swing of things. Weight loss is so mental. Anyways, thanks for posting, I always love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete