Friday, April 26, 2013

Are You Eating Enough?

This is a question that seems CRAZY to even ask when most of us out there are either trying to lose weight and/or get healthy. The reality though is that it plays probably the most important role in what we're trying to accomplish. I know I have talked about 80% of this journey as being nutrition, and that my friends is so true. We can work out all day long, but if we're not fueling our bodies accordingly we will just be running in our tracks.

I remember first starting out and trying to cut back portions and eat healthy and only eating at meal times with an occasional snack. I would try not to eat unless I was hungry. I figured things were better that way since for so long I had done just the opposite, and ate all the wrong kinds of foods no less. 

It didn't take long for my body to plateau after losing the first 20 pounds or so. It was like I was at a stand still. I hadn't changed. I'd hit a wall, and a hard one no less. (I honestly think I lost those 20 pounds because my body was learning a new behavior and suddenly didn't like it.) I was starving myself.  I wasn't eating nearly enough. The thought of consuming small amounts of food all day long seemed unreal.  Like I would almost be setting myself up to add a few pounds to this already large body of mine. I remember being very nervous and had a feeling of being deflated. Eat more? This seemed SO weird! Funny thing is, it totally worked! The more I ate, the more I lost. (I know, sounds crazy.) I remember eating at my meal times hungry or not. I may have thought I didn't need it but my body new differently.

I always eat a small bite of something first thing in the morning. (Just to get my metabolism going.) I'm not a breakfast eater so this was a stretch. Within an hour or two after that I eat something like oatmeal or a protein shake. A snack is on the menu mid-morning, then lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, and a small snack before bed. That is a LOT of food! Especially when all I've ever known was that food was the enemy. Not anymore. We've become quite good friends actually. I have to tell myself that if I don't eat often, my motor starts to slow down and we all know we don't want that.

It's not always easy to remember to eat all day long as I am working and busy. Lately it seems to be even more of a struggle for me. (Maybe that's why I'm sharing this.) The good news is, I'm pressing forward, one foot in front of the other. Believing I can do anything I put my mind to. Just like you!

Happy Friday!



Pin It!

3 comments:

  1. Gaaa this is hard for me but since I've been doing it I broke the plateau. It's so hard to wrap my head around it it it's working. Thks for the reassurance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for this post! I am feeling so frustrated with this weight loss! Two weeks ago I hit 58lbs lost and just knew 60lbs was going to be right around the corner. However, the scale has not budged in two weeks. In fact, it has gone up despite the fact that I have ate less and exercised more. I am terrified to add calories as I have been sticking to 1200 or less on some days but my gut feeling is I'm not eating enough. I strength train 4 days a week and run 3-4 miles a day. How much do you recommend adding?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is a great post, thanks for sharing! I have loved following your advice since first reading this in your blog. It's so great because I'm not starving. I'm eating and loving the healthy food that I eat and am still losing! :)
    -Rachel

    ReplyDelete